inwhe Welcomes You
The Illinois Network for Women in Higher Education (INWHE) recognizes that, despite recent efforts to increase leadership opportunities for women, gender segregation and stratification in the academic work place still exist. For example, even though women are the majority of college graduates in the United States, they still account for less than one fourth of full professors and one fifth of college presidents (Rhode & Kellerman, 2007).
INWHE is therefore committed to identifying, advancing, and developing the leadership of women in higher education as well as to supporting women administrators, faculty, staff, and students in higher education throughout the state. Specifically INWHE seeks to:
- identify women leaders in higher education statewide
- educate the women and men of our institutions about the need to support gender equity in academic leadership roles through the provision of high-quality workshops, seminars, webinars, and other informational sessions
- develop regional networks of women in higher education in Illinois to establish lifetime career connections that advance and support women in, and aspiring to, leadership positions both locally and nationally
- link women leaders across institutions of higher education
- advocate for gender equity progress in Illinois
Identifying, advancing and developing women leaders in higher education not only benefits the individual, it benefits the higher education community as a whole by ensuring diversity and equity throughout.
INWHE works in concert with the Office of Women in Higher Education (OWHE) of the American Council on Education, to provide educational materials and address higher education issues at the regional, state and national levels.
Membership in the Illinois Network for Women in Higher Education is open to all persons associated with public and private, two-year and four-year institutions of higher education in the state of Illinois.
Membership can be either as part of an institutional membership, or as an individual whose institution is not an institutional member. For complete membership information, go to get involved.
INWHE Bylaws (PDF)